Tuesday, April 25, 2006

woohoo maybe i´m here again!

Here i sit broken hearted came to.... wait a minute i´m at the internet cafe. Well got here after long bus rides and i arrived last sat. And have been moving into my place. wait a miute i need to back track for the sake of Mimi because i know she wants to know everything. I got sworn in i reckon a week ago which seems forever but it was reeaal nice. Even the ambassador to Bolivia was there from the embassy. So i got meet him. But I wish our country director was the one who gave us our certificates because we had way more involvement with him. Then we went out and partied and then began our excursion to our sites. i can´t remember all that has taken place due to the fact of bad hereditary genes on the powers of memory ( thanks mom!). But we all made it here and it is gorgeous here i didn´t have a bad bus ride unlike some folks who were on a 24 hour bus ride that should of taken 8 hours. but what can you do when the bus brakes down in the middle of the night and the bus driver leaves in a taxi and doesn´t return till the morning 8 hours later to fix the bus. But to live in Bolivia very much patience is required to make it but then again everyone is very Tranquilo. So i sat around my house and read a book that a friend wanted me to read, Glamorama, first of all don´t ever read this book it is horrible. The main theme ¨Top super models turned terrorist¨ But anyway I took a break from this breath taking book and made some homemade flour tortillas. They turned out freakin awesome! so i made like 16 of them and it took me about 2 hours. But it brings me to the point that not alot is available in the stores here. So i make my own chips for dippin in homemade salsa. But it is always good to know how to make these things, right? I mean what better way could i spend my time but by spendin two hours on tortillas. Well i guess i could study! So first day at work. I decide to wear my freshly polished boots because i think i might meet some important people today. Of course i made the wise decision. 5 minutes after i get to work i am going to meet the mayor. Which i will add, considering i didn´t understand too much, looks very mayorish and looks like he can do a good job. So i do work out of the mayors office. And i think to myself what the hell am i doin here. I am workin in politics. for anyone that knows me i kind of shyed away from an office my whole life. So i have decided that i got to change my mind on things.How is this going to benefit me later in life? so i´ve decided that one day i am going to run for mayor. Can´t you see it now. Vote for SLEDGE, the last hope for our community. what bothers me about my slogan is that i am the last hope and not the first one. But i´ll run a good ol boy politics and hire all my friends. And really do some errr... good! But that is another life a way and complete bull shit. I like being a tree man. But i think it will help me become involved in my comuntiy more.
so i also have started taking spanish classes 3 times a week because despite peace corps best efforts i am still not fluent. I tried to make the teachers feel better by telling them my mom was super happy when i got a C in English And language isn´t exactly my strong point. The good thing about spanish is you can use double negatives cause i had a problem withthat in english and for now problem solved. I also have arranged to have classes tues and thurs. with a shoe shine boy. So i am going to try and trade free shoe shines for free english classes. But for work right now i am just learning and reading about my town and memorizing the cities. It is amazing what you do with your time when you don´t have distractions, i.e. T.V. or computer. And it made me so happy when rachel told me she never wants to have cable. I just read and i am going to try and perfect the art of cooking and.. oh yeah learn spanish and work for the mayor´s office. It is really awesome down here. So here is my full address , i went down to the post office and they corrected me some but i think other packages will reach here but here is the other one. Jonathan Sledge; Villamonte, Tarija; Bolivia; South America. And for any of ya´ll that really want to make my day you can call me. Because miracuosly i have yet another cell phone. you have to go buy those south american phone cards and the gold ones work good from what i´m told. but my full number is 011 591 7 7181073. Not too complicated. the first set of numbers are the access code then country code then area code and then my phone number. I think the phone cards are 5 dollars for fourty minutes. But it is the middle of the day and i tried to go to my office but it was locked so i came here to write this wonderful blog and i will start and try to write once a week. Chow,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Dude your amazing I´m so glad you got your blog to work. I think you are the most amazing individual i know. You are really intelligent, funny and of course really handsome. I hope one day i can be just like you!!! later man, Sledge

April 25, 2006 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sledge,

Stick to terrorists supermodels and stop the flattery. But, then again I guess your foray into politics is beinging to show through. It sounds like you are doing wonderful things. Do you get to travel on a horse? I hope so. I may try to write some more to you later, but I am at work and have to go to lunch. Have fun and save some tortillas.

Bob

April 25, 2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should consider running for school board rather than Mayor. Especially if you plan on raising a family. Most school board members are bussinessmen who's children are grown and well out of the school. I think that young parents taking an active role in the education of their children is a better alternative.

-Michael

"When I die, she said, I'm coming back as a tree with deep roots & I'll wave my leaves at the children every morning on their way to school & whisper tree songs at night in their dreams.

Trees with deep roots know about the things that children need."

(From "Deep Roots," by Brian Andreas)

April 26, 2006 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey baby..i agree with Michael..:-) love you

April 27, 2006 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sledge,

Great Post!! Excitement radiates through your eyes, your face, your voice, your soul, and your whole personality.

"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is."
- anonymous

bill f bill

April 27, 2006 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jonathan,
I'm impressed. You remembered your sister's birthday without me reminding you. It has been a long week, but only 28 more working days and I will be retired. If you and Val want to both get married in Vegas that is o.k. as long as you take me too. Talk to you later. Work on your memory!! Love you, MOM

April 28, 2006 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha...val's funny. but now that it's a contest um well we have to win...maybe not with the baby thing but the married thing..yea. i'm getting more phone cards today so i will call tonite..love you

May 01, 2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun down there. How are things w/ the government taking over the natural gas fields? It's all over the news here--along with the trade agreements with Venezuela and Cuba. I hope everything is chill where you are. Your blog is great--it makes for awesome reading at the office!
-Jagdeep

May 01, 2006 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home