Wednesday, March 01, 2006

oh yeah!!

Well it has been one hell of a weekend. I haven't had that much fun in a while. But first i wanted to tell about some revelations i have had. Peace corp is a really big and amzing thing. Being a volunteer is really important. In Bolivia alone there are 50-60 people employed solely for our benfit. These people would not have jobs if there weren't volunteers. People watch our every move and we can become role models to people without knowing it. The door is wide open for us to do any number of projects, the only thing limiting us is our own creativity. I will be goin to my site and tryin to influence others to do good and right and to establish a sense of togetherness when doing a huge project that will benefit the communit. It is all very exciting!!! When you think about it 2 years isn't long at all to try and make alot of change. I look forward to how this experience will mold me into becoming involved in my own community and how to work the politics to get projects started and improve things in the states. well enough of the idealism.

Carnival is ten times more fun then mardi gras!!! First of all there are no beads so it is not nearly as dangerous for women! There are no drunk horny guys tryin to see boobs and grabbin every woman there is. It is all about the art of globo(water ballon) war!! you can strategize and change alliances and just have a free for all. People have globos, buckets of water, and waterguns. At times we would just walk down the middle of the street and start wars with everyone so that everyone from both sides are nailing you. That was the ballsy approach. I got to meet alot of bolivians and drink their chicha( fermented corn drink) . after all when you are the only gringo in a whole city everyone will notice and try and mess with you. But yesterday, tuesday the 28th, was ch'alla which is the blessing of panchamama (mother earth) we had burning pyres and firecrackers and lots of chicha. all of which are necessary to properly bless panchamama. this way she will bring rain and prosper on your crops or anything else. But it is awesome down here love ya'll and if you have any deep meaning philosophical thoughts please write them down.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up dude man! Just got around to readin up on all your adventures. That place sounds awesome I am gona have to make a trip down there some time after I can leave the country. Sounds like your gettin quite cultured.
I am being cultured a bit myself in houston. Jessica and I went to a mexican wedding this weekend. We got hammered and ate monewla (lining of a cow stomach in stew form, a tradition, supposed to sober you up) It was horrible but we were to drunk to notice. Jessica ralphed for 2 days. I shit cow stomach coated with hot ass peppers

I'll be in touch

Later Man Dude

March 01, 2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

yo jonathan
glad to hear that you're makin a difference and having a good time. interesting to hear how carnival is. they have mardi gras here but it is the gayest thing in the world- literally. take care man
chad

March 02, 2006 1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Janathan, Glad you are having a good time in Bolivia and making a difference that will carry on a lifetime. You are learning so much about different cultures and people. I leave for Ukraine on March 9th and will return on March 18th. I'm looking forward to it and getting to see other cultures myself. I'll let you know how it is.

Love
Dad

March 02, 2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you, Jonathan..you have my email now (see previous post), so let me know if that works for you...

Deep philosophical thoughts, eh? Hah. How about a couple websites to help you change the world?


The UN Declaration of Human Rights: despite the recent animosity of Americans towards the UN, they persist in being one of the most active and engaged humanitarian influence in the world--especially in second and third world countries. Check it out at:
http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

The Sites: There are a number of quick, easy, and painless ways to help people throughout the world with a click of your mouse. Check out
http://www.thehungersite.com
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
http://www.theliteracysite.com
http://www.therainforestsite.com
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com
http://www.thechildhealthsite.com

Oh..and if you're looking for cool, unusual gift ideas..
http://www.mercycorps.org/mercykits

March 02, 2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger Yazoo Belle said...

What up Sledge!!!

Just wanted to say hey and that I missed you. The lovely stew Ben was refering to was Manudo. I'm sure people there have heard of it! JUST DON'T TRY IT!!!!!! I'm glad to hear that you are having a good time and we miss you very much.

Jessica

March 02, 2006 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to give me your blog address before you left, sexypants. I miss you in the mouth...as well as everywhere else.

Been thinking about you a lot man, you know how busy I am here, but we had entirely too much fun the last few months. So what's the deal with this blog thing? It won't work after next month? Send me an email about the janks. Peacemike@aol.com

I love you almost as much as I hate Amerikkka :)


MD

P.S. Have you used your field kit yet?

March 04, 2006 12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jonathan,
Can't wait to hear about your trip. I'll news on mine as well. I ask Sherry about the paper, but guess she threw it away. I'll get several tomorrow from Becky. I'll mail you one. So excited that your company came in third place. Not bad for the short amount of time it was opened. Guess I should open it up again since I won't be working next year. You know I was the one who taught you how to mow yards!!!!! I'll let you know who beat you out as soon as I get a paper. Don't forget to go on southcall.com and see about a phone card. Love you, MOM

March 07, 2006 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan, one other thing. You are suppose to tell me what to write about this lawn mower.

March 07, 2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

On the subject of philosophical thoughts here's one: what's the difference between a goat and a porsche? you've never been in a porsche. haha you bolivian bastard. Hope everything is going well and you are still getting Montezuma's revenge everytime you drink the water, and i hope the blow is all it's cracked up to be.

March 14, 2006 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home