Thursday, July 06, 2006

happy July 4th


WooHoo!! Happy July 4th. I was thinking that day that there are probably only 5o people in all of Bolivia partying. It was really cool. We would tell the Bolivians what we were doing and everyone wished us felicidades. So it was pretty awesome. Four of us went to Argentina to buy meat. They are famous for there cows. The meat was oh so good. We ended up buying approximately 14 pounds of steak, 4 pounds of sausage, and 3 chickens. We had a feast. We brought the frisbee and of course i bought some fireworks, which we didn´t shoot off till 2 a.m. The only problem we had was that we bought a 3 foot tall rocket and placed it in the ground. Well we put it in too far and the thing didn´t lift off. Have you ever seen one of those huge motars explode on the ground? well it shot red sparks all over us and the shockwave was powerful enough to set off the car alarms around the area. We of course took off running. But then we remembered that we were in Bolivia and that kind of thing doesn´t matter.
But anyway, The picture here is of me cooking our fish for dinner that we caught. I´ve gotten pretty good and whirling the hook over my had and then letting go. I can pretty much cast it as far as anyone with a pole. But we are going again this weekend. It´s probably my favorite time every week when we go fishing.
So i noticed the other day while i was walking down the street at how weird it was that it was July 4th. We relate so many of our holidays with the seasons and the weather. Imagine a really cold July 4th where you have thick jackets on. Or Christmas at 110 degrees. Where you want be using the coat or blanket you just got for another 6 months. No one here would ever think of a white Christmas. The leaves are falling down here and you can just feel fall setting in and winter coming. I never realized how much association we have with different parts of the year with the weather. Well love you all and hope everyone had a wonderful and safe fourth and nobody lost an eye from a bottle rocket. We all know it is very possible.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sledge,

That meat run sounds awesome. Was Argentina pretty? Sounds like you are getting pretty good at fishing wihtout a pole, that would be an interesting skill to have.

That is very observant about the holidays and the time of the year. I think I would have a problem with fall being now, but it is the absence of the seasons that bothers me the most. It surprised me at first to hear about you experiencing fall, than I recalled where you are on the map and how far away you actually are. Any way, that exploding rocket on the ground was straight Wes Simms. Look forward to the next post, thanks for the 4th wishes, it waws fun.

P.S. -- I'll have to tell you about Jagdeep's Dad's retirement party soon.

July 06, 2006 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wassup Sledge!! Glad to hear you had a good time on the 4th. Sounds like you guys ate about as much food as I did for the holiday. Like Bob mentioned, my dad retired last week and I decided to throw him a nice little party--something similar to my high school graduation party (except bigger). Was tons of fun to see the whole family and hang out with every one. The evening was a bit hazy, so Bob might be able to give you a better recap. Speaking of mortars, I had one blow up in my hand on the 4th. It really sucked and my right hand is burned up pretty good. Nothing serious, though--should be fine in about a week. Talk Soon! -Jagdeep

July 07, 2006 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sledge you bastard!! i am hearing rumors and your ass is in trouble...maybe. I will hunt you down by e-mail or phone or something. hope all is well

July 07, 2006 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jonathan,
Its' Sunday and I'm catching up on the computer. We didn't even have fireworks this year for the 4th. Pretty boring. Remember all those years we sold fireworks and worked to see who was made the biggest sell. I do believe Jeremy even helped one year. Time does fly by. I'm leaving Wednesday to go and help Mimi unload. Took Zephy to Val Saturday. The house is so quiet now with Keisha and Zephy gone. Talk to you later. Love you, MOM

July 09, 2006 3:28 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

yo dude; sounds like you're still having an amazing experience. glad to see it.

July 10, 2006 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sledge,

What's up man? Now that's a lot of meat. Sounds like you are still having good times down there. Our 4th was good. At about 11 PM, all of the neighborhood kids were out shooting firecrackers, so after having about 15 beers, I went inside and got my .40 cal and squeezed off a few rounds into the ground and made the neighbors totally freek out! I told them that they spent all of that $ on their firecrackers and I spent only $9 for 50 super loud Smith & Wessons. Much better deal.

JT

July 11, 2006 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. I'm glad to read that you had a good time on the 4th. No 4th celebration is truly complete without Sledge blowing up something or setting off fireworks in a potentially dangerous manner.
Saturn missiles firing horizontally at people? Check.
A gross of bottle rockets duct taped together? Check.
I guess we can add ground-level mortar explosion to the list.
Bolivia's 4th is August 6th, no? You'll have to let us know how the locals celebrate.


Frank

July 13, 2006 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey baby..just wanted to post that website so people can get some good phone cards. www.royaljcphonecard.com i usually buy the boombox one and it works pretty well...i love you

July 17, 2006 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home